1897 Tacoma 62 Tugboat
- View Full Specifications
- Engine/Fuel Type:
- Single / diesel
- Located In:
- Newport, RI
- Hull Material:
- Current Price:
- US$ 179,000 (£ 143,602)
Steeped in history, and much fabled, this Tacoma 62 ex. Tugboat is now a comfortable cruising home, with charm and capability in spades.
Offered to co-brokers on a commission split of 50/50.
Please contact Jennifer Stewart at +1 (401) 855-8404
Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Tacoma Shipyard, Washington - USA
LOA: 62 ft 0 in
Beam: 16 ft 2 in
Minimum Draft: 8 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 7 ft 12 in
Displacement: 47173 kgs
Engine Brand: Caterpillar
Engine Model: D 13,000
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Number of single berths: 2
Number of cabins: 1
WALLACE FOSS was built during the ALASKA GOLD RUSH era in Tacoma – Washington. Originally designed as a passenger steam vessel, she was changed to a tugboat after the hull was built. In 1920 the Foss family purchased the Rouse Towing Company. The deckhouse was entirely rebuilt in 1945 and a new raised pilot house was installed.
The WALLACE FOSS continued to tow sand and gravel barges, and petroleum barges in Puget Sound, Hood Canal and the San Juan Islands. The tug became the only tug in the Foss fleet to operate for 50 years or more. She retired in 1972 and is currently the home of her current owners.
- Extensive work has been accomplished since her birth in 1897.
- Complete rebuilt in 1913 in Ballard.
- Entire re-build and raised pilot house (1945).
- Many planks and new deck (1994).
- New transom and bulwarks (2001).
- 4 x new 8v batteries.
- Engine cleaned and painted.
- Paint and varnish throughout the boat.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- 2 3/8” plank on 6x8 frames, fir.
- Iron and bronze spike fastening.
- Bronze bolts.
- Edge grain fir decks.
Engine & Gearboxes:
- 1 x D 13,000 Caterpillar diesel engine.
Maintenance & Performance:
- Cruising Speed: 8.5 – 9 knots.
- Fuel Consumption: @ 850rpm, 3 gallons per hour @ 8.5 knots.
Propulsion & Steering:
- Bow and stern thrusters.
- 45’ pitch 54’ propeller with 4’ shaft.
Other Mechanical Equipment:
- Engine driven air compressor to run pneumatic controls.
- Back-up 120v compressor.
- 2 x 32v battery banks.
- 2 x 12v battery banks.
- 4 x 8v batteries.
- 32v charger, 2,000 watt inverter.
- 12v charger, 100 amp/2,000 inverter.
- 1 x Yanmar 10kW generator.
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
- 10 gallon engine driven or 110v hot water heater.
- Total capacity of 6,364 litres (1,400 gallons).
- Total capacity of 500 litres (110 gallons).
- Furuno Nav Net series chart plotter with GPS and radar interface.
- Simrad autopilot.
- 4-burner propane stove.
- Tundra refrigerator/freezer.
- Haier 3.6 cu ft chest freezer.
- Microwave oven.
- 10” search light with remote control.
- Picnic table and BBQ on deck.
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
- Hicks-Bull Mach. Co. Hydraulic anchor windlass.
- 164lb Danforth anchor with 250’ of ¾” stud link chain.
- Spare anchor – 65lb Davis with chain and rhode.
- Dock lines, fenders and all the other necessities.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.