Located in South Portland, Maine, ETAIN is a superbly restored Swan 36. A classic Sparkman & Stevens design, definitely the best-preserved Swan, in the older Swan community. New Awl-grip topsides & deck, chain-plates re-bedded, full re-varnishing, inside and out, plus a long list of other improvements. Previous and current owners paid particular and careful attention to keep ETAIN as original as possible and to keep her a classic. All the work for previous owner was done at Jamestown Boat Yard, well known as a Swan yard. Recent work was performed by Stanley’s Boat Yard in Barrington, Rhode Island in 2015. ETAIN has always been stored indoors in the off-season.
Designer: SPARKMAN & STEPHENS
Flag of Registry: USA
Hull Shape: Displacement
LOA: 35.73' / 10.89m
LWL: 25.92' / 7.90m
Beam: 9.68' / 2.95m
Maximum Draft: 6.07' / 1.85m
Displacement: 14300 lbs./ 6486 kgs.
Ballast: 7936 lbs. / 3600 kgs.
Ballast / Disp.: 55.50%
Disp. / Length: 366.59
Designer: Sparkman & Stephens
Years in Production: 1967 to 1970
Number Produced: 80
Cabin Headroom: 5.90' / 1.80m
The Swan 36 was the designed by Sparkman & Stephens. The Swan 36 was the boat that put NAUTOR on the map’ worldwide, and is still a sought after classic Swan, especially considering the condition of ETAIN.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- Deck hardware removed, top layer of fiberglass deck delaminated areas near primary winches removed, core replaced, re-glassed and re-faired deck including molded track wedges. All smooth and nonskid surfaces new Awl-grip applied, all hardware re-bedded and installed, 2010.
- Majority of deck hardware upgraded/re-chromed / re-anodized, 2011.
- Loose stanchion bases repaired/backing plates, 2011.
- Topsides Awl-gripped, 2010.
- Chain plates removed, inspected, replaced and re-bedded, 2010.
- Stern cleats removed, repainted and reinstalled, 2010.
- Prop strut area repaired and faired, 2012.
- Antifouling, 2013.
- Teak toe rails stripped, sealed & varnished, 2011, touched up with an additional two coats in 2013.
- Exterior completely varnished with two coats high gloss in 2011, with touch-ups and two more coats Oct 2013.
Engine & Gearboxes:
- WESTERBEKE 30B, 3 cylinder
- Horsepower 27
- Less than 200 hours
- Installed as new engine in 2002
Maintenance & Performance:
- Replaced entire length of metallic exhaust with new style hose, including new plastic silencer,new vented loop configuration, etc., 2010.
Propulsion & Steering:
- 120V receptacle in head, 2009.
- Wiring tidied behind electrical panel, 2010.
- Windex, 2010.
- Circuit breakers labeled, 2010.
- All interior lighting LED, 2016
- Relocated vapor proof battery switch, 2015
- New batteries, 2013.
- 12V batteries secured with original NAUTOR strapping, 2010.
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
- No hot or cold pressure water.
- New saltwater intake hose for sink, 2009.
- New raw water pump, 2010
- New bladder water tank and related plumbing 2010.
- Fuel tank cleaned, 2016
- Bulkhead mounted compasses, serviced 2011.
- Tiller autopilot.
- VHF CMP348W
- Raymarine P70 Autopilot, 2015.
- New VHF antenna, 2010.
- Raymarine Wind, masthead and speedo, 2010.
- GPS GARMIN 640
- interior / exterior mount for GPS added, 2016
- Kenwood AM/FM/CD stereo in main salon with speakers
- Magnetic compass
- Ice Box.
- Single SST sink.
- 2 burner CNG stove (one tank - system checked 2013).
- Toilet with holding tank.
- Head hardware replaced/polished/new shower handle, hinges, latches, et cetera. 2010.
- Seawater or fresh water pump at head sink.
Heating & Ventilation:
- Three SST Dorade vents.
- New vent fitting in head, 2010.
- CRUISEAIR 16,000 BTU marine air conditioner/heater. - needs service
- New Found Metals opening ports, 2016
Summary of Accommodation:
- Her interior is a mix of koto and teak wood, ply stained floors, which have just been re-varnished.
- Port and starboard quarter berths aft, galley to starboard side, head athwartships forward, and v-berth foc’sle cabin.
- Lee clothes.
- Ten chrome New Found Metals opening ports.
- Sliding overhead hatch.
- Floorboards stripped and varnished, 2010.
- Interior varnished, striped and coats built up on items such as salon handrails, two coats on other surfaces 2011.
- Interior cushions, 2010.
- Forepeak: 72” long, widest point at aft end of bunk is 76”, tapers to 10”.
- Salon settee, is U-shaped with table, outboard settee is 78” long.
- Stern quarter berth, 74”, tapers from 32” to 15”.
- Bell quartz chronometer and barometer
- NAUTOR single spreader alum. rig.
- Mast step repaired/modified/upgraded 2010.
- Hall Quick vang.
- Newer Hall boom (done by a previous owner, age unknown).
- Barlow secondary and halyard winches.
- Harken Traveller & mainsheet system.
- Harken roller furling, serviced 2010.
- New spinnaker halyard 2010.
- All turnbuckles serviced and cleaned 2010.
- Masthead sheaves removed and serviced, 2010.
- Backstay adjuster repaired, prep and painted 2010.
- Spectra furling line, 2010.
- LEWMAR #54 self tailing primary winches.
- LEWMAR winch installed for slab reefing, 2013.
- Main & jib 2009. Lightly used. Other older sails available.
- New shelf in stbd cockpit locker with enclosure for shift control, 2011.
- Swim Ladder.
- Lexan forward hatch with solar fan, 2016
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
- Cockpit cushions, 2010.
- Fully fitted Fairclough winter cover with frame
- New vinyl coated lifelines, 2013.
- Fortress anchor and bow mounting bracket system, 2015
- Tiller clutch, 2016
- New fenders with fleece covers
- First aid kit
- Flare kit
- Inflatable PFD’s with integral harness
- Custom tool kit