Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:
Builder: Van Dam Shipyard
Designer: Robert Van Dam
LOA: 49 ft 0 in
Beam: 15 ft 1 in
LWL: 44 ft 3 in
Minimum Draft: 5 ft 10 in
Maximum Draft: 5 ft 11 in
Displacement: 21772 kgs
Total Power: 90 HP
Engine Brand: Perkins
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Power: 90 HP
Number of single berths: 6
Number of cabins: 2
Number of heads: 2
PATIENCE is an exceptional, no compromise cruising yacht. She was originally used in Canada, before being bought by the owner of the Royal Van Dam Shipyard, for his own use. She is carefully designed so that she is under 15 metres and so she misses the restrictions imposed on yachts larger than this in Northern European and Mediterranean waters. Her original construction is of the highest quality and her interior is executed in warm rosewood. She is easily handled, with moderate draft and she has a spacious layout below decks with a protected cockpit and lots of deck space above. Her current owner has refitted her substantially and the work was carried out in Holland in 2014/15. The refit has totally upgraded the yacht in all respects and the intelligent and unfussy use of modern technology to make her ready for today’s yachting is beautifully done. Works carried out include paint, rig, electronics and a full systems overhaul. We are captivated by this yacht and think that she is very special.
The appeal of this boat came when I asked the question, “Why would the yard owner who designed and built this boat want to reacquire this boat for his own use?”. The answer is first its size. At 14.95 meters it both avoids the greater licensing, insurance and operational requirements of 15+ meter boats and more importantly it fits into most marinas especially in Northern Europe, many who have a 15 meter maximum size. The 1.8 meter draft also meets most marinas, canals and anchorage requirements. In addition, the interior of this boat is massive for this length of boat. Both the beam (4.6 Meters) and height (+2 meters) of the interior yield a truly functional living space. Its been compared favorably to many 55’ to 57’ cruisers made by other makers and even compares favorably to larger Nordia’s.
As all boats, this boat was produced as a compromise between all the possible characteristics each designer and customer brings with them when producing a custom yacht. This boat is more than the adherence to the original owner’s requirements. It is the culmination of many years of constant innovation from the designer who practiced evolutionary rather than revolutionary design. Modern Nordia’s show a clear learning process that Robert Van Dam brought to his work which yielded an amazing versatile boat capable of very high performance for their type, with a ride that transmits a solid safe feel to her passengers that never hints at being at risk. This boat has ridden out 50 knot winds in the North Sea without so much as a groan. The Sheel keel is powerful and always in control even though its draft is only 1.8 meters. She never pounds and due to her beautifully shaped hull provides a stiff solid feel in heel angles which always seem less than the conditions would demand.
The construction of Nordia’s are well known for their quality of materials, superb build detail and extreme strength. I can attest to never hearing a groan, crack or hint of failure of any part of the boat. Very few boats ever attained the quality and sophistication of construction and quality that is found in this boat.
The hull is heavily constructed aluminum and has never suffered degradation from corrosion or electrical issues. The deck stepped mast is the strongest I have found. With 12 stays the rig is very capable of carrying full sails well into the mid 20 knot range. We regularly travel in the mid 8’s with only 15 to 17 knots of wind on the beam. At 12 knots we are in the solid 7’s. The highest speed through the water we have attained was 9.2 knots in 25 knots, and that was with only the main and Jib. Putting up the new staysail always seems to add another knot in the mid-range of winds and in high winds will allow the Jib to be furled with no noticeable reduction in speed.
The rigging was redone by a talented race boat rigger in Holland this winter and care was taken to add functionality and performance without going beyond the capabilities of the design. The result has been a very nice reduction in weight aloft, integration of some very useful new technology and a better performance envelope. The replacement of the second level backstays with running backstays eliminated the limitations on boom angle while removing a great amount of weight aloft. The halyard cars has made halyard tension adjustments easy and repeatable and the new Bamar Vang has improved control on the main.
The low mileage Perkins engine and related drive gear and transmission have been bulletproof. Mileage averages about 2 miles per liter, sometimes better or worse depending on environment and haste. Cruising just above idle will give a 6 knot cruise with 9 knots being attainable under the right circumstances. All the related tanks and fittings are well thought out and easily serviced. The engine driven bow thruster is powerful and can be revved quite high for a serious amount of thrust necessary for a boat of this size and weight. When approaching a dock at idle it gives more than enough control in even serious cross winds.
The stainless work was all gone over with a new pushpit being produced with integral folding davits, Rode reel for 200 meters of rode and 10 meters of 10mm add-on anchor chain. A mount for the Fortress anchor and integral stern seats. The new Bimini and Dodger integrate very nicely together and when using the teak deck stands its possible to helm the boat and view above the dodger while being fully protected by the Bimini. All SS tubes were upgraded to 32mm heavy wall to allow the frames to be safely used as hand holds in rough weather. A full enclosure for the cockpit provides great protection when raining or cold. It’s easily unzipped when not needed.
The galley is well stocked with most appliances a cook will ever need. The 1100 liters of water and large boiler will provide ample clean hot water for 6 or more people on an extended cruise. The comfortable births, large showers and washer/dryer give one all the comforts of home. The new Li/Ion battery system can provide ample power for long periods between charges. The electronics suite is state of the art with intelligently thought out back-up systems and interfaces.
After purchasing the boat in 2014, it was cruised in and around the Baltic and North Sea and did the English Channel in 2015. Unfortunately due to business issues my future sailing will be limited to the West Coast of the US where this boat is not as beautifully suited, so I have made the decision to sell it at a great price and let the next person enjoy its great capabilities and quality. The boat has been very well prepared and the new owner simply needs to take over the normal maintenance and care from where I will leave off. Total 2014/15 refit costs of the boat is approximately Euro 370,000 which makes this an excellent value. No similar boat exists that can come close to the value and quality offered.
In 2016 I have improved her further, and she is now completely ready for her new owner.
RCD Status: Our understanding is that the yacht is exempt from the essential safety requirements of Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) as she was built and placed into use within the EU prior to 1998.
Hull, Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- Aluminium hull and superstructure.
- Teak laid decks; approximately 75% replacement (2015).
- Round bilged hull.
- Paint on hull, topside and cockpit (2015).
- Zincs on hull, rudder and prop shaft (2015).
- Suger scoop stern.
- 6mm hull plate; 8mm keel plate; 20mm keel bottom; 5mm deck.
Keel & Rudder:
- Sheel keel with integral propeller shaftway and internal ballast and tankage.
- Partial skeg mounted rudder.
Engine & Gearboxes:
- 1 x Perkins 90hp 4-cylinder diesel engine. Engine Hours: 1,840 as of 07-10-16.
- Two circuit cooling system.
Maintenance & Performance:
- Cruising Speed: 7-8 knots.
Propulsion & Steering:
- Cable steering.
- Emergency steering.
- Stainless steel propeller shaft in closed oil bath.
- Hydromat hydraulic 12kW bowthruster.
- Rope cutter on prop shaft (2015).
- 12v chargers for engine & generator.
- Ships systems 24v.
- 220v ring main and charging.
- Li/ion battery packs – 2 x each, 180aH x 24VDC (2015) for service bank.
- 1 x 12v gel for generator start.
- 2 x 12v gel for engine start.
- Victron Quatro 3000 Li/ion battery charger.
- Victron 24VDC engine battery charger (2015).
- Victron 12VDC generator battery charger.
- Secondary Li/ion battery charger 24VDC (2015).
- 195amp engine alternator and control (2015).
- Panda 6.0kW generator (approx. 40 engine hours).
- Fully controllable via the Victron, Quatro inverter/charger.
- Victron 7kW isolation transformer (2015).
- Shore power at 220v, regulated by the Victron Quatro.
- Victron Quatro 3000/24/70 inverter/charger (2015).
- Victron colour control (2015).
- All new mast wiring and cables (2015).
- Victron Lynx Ion 600A internal shunt (2015).
- Solbian flkex SP50Q solar panels, dual cir. 4 x 50 watt each (2015).
- Genasun GV 28.4VDC boost lithium converts – 2 x each (2015).
Fresh Water & Water Heating System:
- 50 litre hot water boiler.
- Hot water heating elements in water tank (2015).
- Water pressure system – freshwater pump, Parmax 4 (2015).
- Freshwater debris and fine micron filter pack (2015).
- Both cockpit and engine room Rheinstrom bilge pumps rebuilt (2015).
- Bilge operation alarm (2015).
- 2000 GPH Rule, Bilge (2015).
- VDO gauges for grey and fresh water tanks (2015).
- Total capacity of 800 litres, in an aluminium integrated tank.
- Total capacity of 1,100 litres 1 x integrated tank.
Grey/Blackwater holding tanks:
- 2 x Blackwater holding tanks; in polypropylene.
- Gas regulators and flexible plumbing (2015).
- Fresh LP tank with universal back-up LP tank.
- Raymarine i70 wind instruments – 3 x units (2015).
- Raymarine wind sender unit on mast (2015).
- Raymarine e127 multi-function display (2015).
- Raymarine c97 multi-function display (2015).
- Raymarine P319 depth/temperature sender (2015).
- Raymarine AIS 650 class B transponder (2015).
- Raymarine AIS 100 splitter (2015).
- Raymarine Raystar 130 GPS (2015).
- Raymarine RayMic 260E VHF radio – 2 x units Nav Station, Cockpit (2015).
- Simrad AP 28 autopilot (backup) (2015).
- Raymarine HD colour radar RD424HD (2015).
- Raymarine upgraded sonar transponder (2015).
- Raymarine Autopilot, S3G (Approx. 2006).
- Raymarine Smart controller for Autopilot.
- Mast top windex (2015).
- Navionics Navigational Card set for Baltic, North Sea, Channel, UK, Atlantic Coasts, Med (2015).
- Furuno Navtex NX300 Receiver (approx. 2008).
- Navtex NX300 active antenna (2015).
- Fusion MS-RA205 receiver with dock (2015).
- Glomex Webboat wifi/3G/4G system.
- Thuraya XT Satellite phone with Data Link.
- Complete Navionics+ navigational charts of the North Sea, Baltic, Channel and Atlantic local waters for the Raymarine plotter.
- Large library of paper charts and cruising guides of Northern Europe and Atlantic local waters.
- Brother DCP-J132W Printer/scanner.
- Fridge. Kissmann 24 VDC
- Deep freezer. Kinsman 24 VDC
- Force 3 gas burner stove and oven.
- Washer/dryer LG Directdrive 8/4 KG (2015).
- Dinnerware, silverware and implements (2015).
- Crock pot, Tefal deep fryer, Princess waffle sandwich maker, Kenwood Multione food processor, Starmix, Siemans hand mixer, Lots of other cooking and food preparation equipment.
- Daewoo RCC-2508BR vacuum cleaner.
- 2 x WCs/Shower rooms – Manual Rheinstrom toilets – both rebuilt (2015).
- Hot and cold deck shower (2015).
Heating & Ventilation:
- Webasto diesel heater and exhaust system (2015).
- Webasto dual cycle A/C and heaters – 2 x units Blue Cool S8 (2015).
- Teak A/C grills (2015).
- Fusion MS RA205 with dock integrated into chart plotters (2015).
- Audio speakers in cockpit (2015).
- Audio speakers in saloon, forward and rear cabins.
- LED nav. lights (2015).
- LED deck lights (2015).
- LED touch lighting in cockpit (2015).
- LED cabin lights (2015).
Summary of Accommodation:
- 6 berths in 2 cabins; 2 x WCs/shower rooms.
- Classic rosewood (bubinga) interior.
- Full headroom throughout.
- Saloon with seating to port side.
- Chart table to starboard.
- Galley to starboard side, in passage to owner’s cabin.
- Neptune mattress in owner’s cabin (2015).
- Gebo windows – 7 x windows, 4 x hatches (2015).
- Pilothouse and cockpit windows replaced (2015).
Description of layout from forwards:
There is a large forward lazarette with ample storage for sails, bicycles and lots of other cruising kit. A full watertight bulkhead separates this from the main accommodation. Internally forward is found a large heads compartment with separate shower stall, which serves the guest cabin which has a generous double on the starboard side with an upper and lower berth arrangement to port. This cabin offers lots of versatility depending on the guests that are onboard. The main saloon has a large seating area to port in a U with a generous chart table to port. Aft of this is a linear galley with lots of working surfaces together with good refrigeration which has been added to with further space beneath the navigators’ seat. There is a door into a large engine room to port with excellent access to all the systems. The Owners’ stateroom is found aft with masses of storage, a large double berth and en-suite heads with a separate shower stall. Both forward cabin and rear cabin are air conditioned via a Webasto dual cycle A/C and heaters, Blue Cool S8. Additionally the boat is also heated via a Webasto diesel heater. The high level of insulation throughout the boat means it is always comfortable, can be heated and cooled quickly and never suffers from the morning dampness that so many boat can never overcome. The deck stepped mast means a dry bilge which is proven by the pristine condition of the original paint in the bilge.
- Sloop rig.
- Proctor (Hall Spars) aluminium mast with Dyform and Dyneema rigging.
- Completely rebuilt and painted mast and boom (2015).
- Upgraded spreaders with new end hoops and bushings (2015).
- Stainless steel fittings.
- In-mast stowaway system.
- New Reckmann furler for 130% genoa (2015).
- Nemo backstay adjuster.
- New adjustable Bamar boomvang (2015).
- Spinnaker boom.
- Stainless steel backstay mount (2015).
- Rod backstay (2015).
- Dieform cable stays (2015).
- Dyneema running backstays (2015).
- Outhaul carriage and rail (2015).
- Installed halyard tensioning cars (2015).
- Rebuilt and painted spinnaker pole (2015).
- Vetus “Tiger” Electric Anchor Winch.
- 2 x Lewmar 65 manual genoa winches.
- 2 x Lewmar 46 electric winches.
- 3 x Lewmar 43 manual cockpit winches.
- Rebuilt all mast and cockpit winches (2015).
- Hood mainsail, excellent shape (2008).
- Hood 130% genoa, excellent shape (2008).
- DeVries soft hank staysail (2015).
- Self-furling jib Asymmetric, Reckmann (2015).
- Swim ladder.
- Integrated swim platform.
- Multiplex gangway.
- Rope storage bag in forepeak (2015).
- Pushpit with anchor mount (2015).
- Re-polish of all stainless steel stanchions (2015).
- Re-polished grannie bars and pulpit (2015).
- 8 x Vitus dorades (2015).
- 2 x Foldable electric bicycles (2015).
- Magma stainless steel barbeque (2016).
Anchoring & Mooring Equipment:
- Lorance electric windlass.
- Anchor, mount and rollers (2015).
- Rocna 40kg anchor with 100meters of 10mm chain (2015).
- Pushpit mounted anchor rode – 200m + 10m chain (2015).
Covers, Canvas & Cushions:
- New DeVries Dodger with integral bolt rope mount on windscreen (2015).
- New DeVries Bimini with integral solar panel mounts and wire tracings (2015)
- Cockpit side curtains (2015).
- 32mm heavy wall stainless steel Bimini frame with tracings for 200w solar and integral touch cockpit lighting (2015).
- 32mm heavy wall stainless steel dodger frame (2015).
Tender & Outboard:
- 12’ storm dinghy with 5hp Mercury engine (2015).
- 6-person Transocean 6 ISO 9650 liferaft (2015).
- Davits (2015).
- Stainless steel handrail around pilothouse (2015).
- Granny bars around mast.
- Ditch kit.
- Fire blankets.
- Fire extinguishers.
Spares and Parts
- Large amount of engine and generator service parts.
- Large amount of spare parts for furnishings, hatches, dorades, electrics, lights, circuit breakers, fuses, oils, paints, finishes, cleaning and maintenance products.
- Extensive tool kits and service aids.
- A large number of the original construction blueprints came with this boat along with calculation and equipment specifications and assorted materials lists.
Extra Equipment (Optional)
- Thuraya XT Satellite phone with data link (2015, unused).
- Garmin GPS 12 hand held back up GPS.
- Cobra Marine HH500 VHF radio.
- Cobra Marine HH350 VHF radio.
- Brother DCP-J132W Color printer/scanner.
- DeVries Staysail (2015)
- Storm Dingy in stowage bag with 2 ores and inflation pump (2014).
- Dingy cover, (2015, unused)
- 5 H.P. Mercury 4 stroke outboard with lock (New).
- Transocean 6 liferaft ISO 9650 with Hydrostatic release.
- Fortress FX-23 aluminum anchor (fits onto pushpin mount) (2015).
- 10 meters of 10mm anchor chain with swivel. (mounts onto pushpin reel)
- 200 meters of rode with eyes. (mounts onto pushpin reel) (2015)
- 2 x Foldable Electric bicycles in carry bags with chargers and lock (2015).
- Sea Breath Hokkah dive unit with 2 regulators and compressed air lines (2015, unused).
- Plastimo Rescue sling (2014)
- Bestco lifering and mount with strobe.
- 50’ Gardena hose.
- 100’ industrial hose.
- Ditch bag with: 2 x Mk9 smoke pots, 2 Mk8 white hand flares, 4Mk8 red hand flares, 4 Mk8A Para red rockets, 2 collapsable water containers, Kannad Sportpro GPS EPIRB (2015).
- Collapsable travel wagon for provisioning (2015).
- Assorted life vests.
- Assorted rain gear.
- Solar heating shower bag.
- Large medical kit.
- Fitted sun shade for mounting over the boom.
- Electrical land line cords, 2 each.
- Electrical extension cords, 2 each.
- Assorted electrical adapter cords.
- Compressed air fog horn (new).
- Large tool set, including: Soft sided Tool bag, battery powered Hitachi drill set, Bosch 220vac Drill, Files, rasps, drifts, wrenches, screwdrivers, electrical test equipment, etc.
- Container of assorted rigging and ropes.
- Cooking appliances and equipment, including: Crock pot, Tefal deep fryer, Princess waffle sandwich maker, Kenwood Multione food processor, Starmix, Siemans hand mixer, Lots of other cooking and food prep equipment.
- Containers of touchup paint for all surfaces.
- 2 x Shimano 1216 carbon fishing rods in carry bags (new)
- 2 x Penn 321LH GT2 Fishing reels (new)
- Container of assorted fishing lures, lines and accessories.
- Large assortment of books, guides, maps and navigational equipment.
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.