Hobie 33 #185 The Dark Star (H33) racing campaign comes to an end following two very successful Transpac’s in 2017/2019. The completely rebuilt boat and the trailer has arrived in San Pedro on Pasha and is now for sale for the first time.
Boat: Hobie 33 #185 (of 187 built)
Road Trailer: Zieman
9.9 hp Honda Outboard
For more information about this boat call Richard Allen, at 180 Marine any time including weekends and evenings.
- ring beam and new stiffening ribs 2017 to replace original substandard ribs that supported the mast rig
- completely new solar electrical system 2017, upgraded again 2019 with two carbon foam batteries a waterproofing
- rigid pneumatic boom vang new 2017
- reinforced boom
- new Foss elliptical rudder 2017 with one-piece stainless post and new stainless rudder head cap.
- running backstays
- all-new running rigging 2019 except spinnaker halyard new 2017, with anti-chafe gear
- sealed watertight impact chamber under V berth
- anchor points for tethering in the cockpit
- sleeved compression post under mast for additional support. This was an area that also failed offshore in stock Hobies.
- engine lifting system and latches to hold engine well plug in place. Original plug required the weight of the engine to hold it in place. This plug popped out on an 18-knot surf during Pac Cup on another Hobie and started jetting water into the cockpit and cabin.
- in summary, we researched just about every way a Hobie 33 had failed offshore in the past and took steps to remedy the underlying causes of those failures.
Additional equipment currently on board:
- a full suite of offshore safety gear including lIfesling, life ring, heaving line, EPIRB, JonBuoy auto inflating MOB assembly to ORC Cat 1 spec
- 4 Man liferaft new 2017.
- tack tick wireless instrumentation package with USB networking interface to feed laptop and nav software (bring your own laptop)
- Vesper 6000 AIS transmitter and receiver to ORC Cat 1 spec, also with USB connector
- B&G chart plotter to the cockpit
- Garmin chart plotter to the nav station
- VHF radio with DSC new 2017
- 2 bilge pumps to ORC Cat 1 spec
- 2 ditch bags with required gear per ORC Cat 1 spec
- transom mounted emergency rudder (cartridge based system for easy deployment in heavy seas)
- New 2019:
- Ullman Carbon Main
- Ullman A2 spinnaker (blown out - needs repair)
- Ullman A2 spinnaker
- storm jib
- storm trysail
- Dacron Main used for Transpac 2017
- miscellaneous older sails in LA storage locker
Other spares in LA storage locker
2019 ORR rating