FURTHER BROKER’S COMMENTS:
Custom-built for her current owner and launched in April 2000, TANIWANI is hull No.11 of the Najad 490 range of Swedish-built centre-cockpit bluewater cruising yachts.
Named TANIWANI after a heroic young fish in an Austrian children picture book from the 1950’s, her engineer-owner has enjoyed cruising in some of the world’s finest cruising grounds including a full circumnavigation between 2004 and 2008. More recently TANIWANI has been based in around Madeira, cruising between the Atlantic islands and Portugal, wintering each year ashore and undercover.
Fitted out for serious bluewater adventures, she ticks almost every possible box, plus plenty more. Her specification highlights include:-
- Kevlar reinforced bow sections
- Full epoxy system to hull
- 2.00m draft keel
- 3-cabin, plus passage-making berth layout with master walkaround double aft and twin bunk cabins forward.
- Yanmar 96hp engine with 3-bladed Flex-o-Fold propeller
- Increased diesel tankage
- 24vDC retractable bowthruster
- In-mast furling rig with 2019 Elvstrom Hydranet triradial sails
- Full-time cutter rig
- Twin spinnaker poles
- Andersen electric sheet and mainsheet winches
- Fischer Panda 6.5kw generator
- Aerogen wind generator
- Solar panels
- 70lph reverse osmosis watermaker
- Eberspacher diesel heating system
- Twin fridges plus additional freezer
- Microwave oven
- Dive compressor
- Tender & outboard with retractable davits
- Stern anchor with windlass
- Furuno touchscreen chart plotters with open-array digital radar
- Raymarine autopilot system and primary navigation instruments
- SSB radio with Pactor modem
German-owned and flagged and EU VAT-paid, TANIWANI is now conveniently located in Madeira for both European and Caribbean bound adventures.
“Designing a sailing yacht, capable of sailing all over the world and at the same time being comfortable and safe for the crew, requires a great experience of long-distance cruising yachts. The result is a Najad 490. A 49 foot sailing yacht with a powerful, extremely seaworthy hull of modern design.
The bolted keel of lead is relatively long in order to maintain course stability and a smooth action at sea. When handling on land the yacht can stand on the keel without support in the fore-and-aft line.
The rudder is semi-balanced with a strong skeg, which ensures the steering is light and positive.
The Strong floor plat construction and stringers are laminated into the hull in order to take the external and rig load. An integral swimming platform is built into the stern for comfort and safety.
The Najad 490 offers, due to her size and volume, a variety of individual layout solutions. These layouts are designed by our design department and together with the client the boat is planned for 2-8 persons. Hereby, the Najad 490 is always a very personal yacht in a class of her own.
Built according to Germanischer Lloyd’s Specification:
Each boat is designed and built to Germanischer Lloyd’s specifications for “GL100 A5.” This includes hull, deck, superstructure, main bulkheads, engine bed, chain plate attachments and sterm fittings as well as plumbing, electricity and electronics. A Germanischer Lloyd’s Certificate is supplied to each boat.”
Text taken from the Najad Technical Specification August 1998 edition
- Our understanding is that the yacht confirms to Directive 94/25EC (Recreational Craft Directive) category A (Ocean).
- The Najad 490 is designed and built to Germanischer Lloyd’s specifications for “GL100 A5.” This includes hull, deck, superstructure, main bulkheads, engine bed, chain plate attachments and stem fittings as well as plumbing, electricity and electronics.
- The hull is built in a sandwich construction and hand laid with multiaxial glass fibre reinforced ISO polyester.
- The surface layer is of NGA gelcoat with maximum protection against water penetration.
- Twaron (Kevlar) reinforcement of hull bow section and a collision bulkhead
- Copper foil as HF-Earth. laminated into the hull. - woven copper band laminated into the hull to ground all rig wires.
- Integral bathing platform.
- The round bilge is reinforced with a longitudinal and transverse floor plate construction, which supports the keel fittings, mast, engine frame, tanks and cabin soles.
- Additional reinforcements longitudinal in the hull as stringers.
- All main bulkheads and the transverse chain plate fittings are laminated to the hull.
- 2 x watertight bulkheads.
- The rubbing strake is combined with the toe rail and is fitted with a brass capping for protection.
- The colour is white with a red trim line and water lines laid in the gelcoat.
- Epoxy system to underwater sections with 7 coats of epoxy - 2009
Deck & Superstructure Construction:
- Deck and coachroof are built in sandwich construction with multi-axel glass fibre reinforced polyester with divincell as spacing material for strength and insulation.
- The colour is white with carmine red trim line.
- Hull and deck are bolted together.
- Strengthening glass fibre laminate beneath stressed areas.
- Substantial teak capping.
- Coachroof, cockpit seat bases and swimming platform are laid with solid caulked teak. Laid in silicon to a GRP deck. Removable teak grating to the cockpit sole.
- 3x large self-draining lockers for anchor, chain, warps, fenders and gas bottles and one large water-proof on the foredeck.
Keel & Rudder:
- The lead ballast keel is bolted on with 16 x 20mm acid resistant stainless steel bolts.
- Semi-balanced rudder in GRP reinforced polyester with 85mm alloyed aluminium rudder post.
- Rudder fitting in acid resistant stainless steel, bolted to the skeg.
- Protection on rudder skeg.
- Rudder has Jeffa needle bearing, lip seals and a neoprene gaiter.
- Emergency steering.
Engine & gearbox:
- Yanmar 4JH-3THE 4-cylinder 4-stroke turbo diesel engine producing approximately 96hp at 3,600rpm.
- Indirect freshwater cooling system via raw water intake and heat exchanger.
- Mechanical reduction gearbox with single lever throttle control at the helm position.
- Twin 296 fuel filters.
Electric feeder pump installed to make for easier bleeding after changing filters.
- Water called exhaust pipe with swan neck and effective rubber silencer.
- Insulated engine room.
Maintenance & Performance:
- Engine hours: Approximately 5,820 hours as of Autumn 2021.
- Engine Servicing – Annually or more frequently depending on hours run – The owner of the vessel is an engineer and carries a full log of maintenance history.
- Maximum speed – approx. 9 knots (flat sea, and clean bottom)
- Fuel consumption – approx. an average of 3.6 litres per hour when cruising at 6.5 knots.
Propulsion & Steering:
- Shaft drive with bronze p-backet and 45mm stainless steel shaft
- Aqua drive thrust bearing with flexible coupling for vibration reduction.
- Stern gland with water lubricated bearing.
- Flex-o-fold 3-blade propeller - over pitched to allow engine to rev up to 3,500rpm.
- 24v Retractable 8hp bowthruster.
- Whitlock steering pedestal in GRP reinforced polyester with leather covered stainless steel 1100mm wheel.
- Whitlock Mamba steering system
- Emergency steering on rudderpost by tiller.
- MaxPower 24vDC retractable 8hp bowthruster with joystick control at helm pedestal
- 24vDC domestic circuit with 12vDC start circuits and 220vAC ring main via generator, shore power or inverter
- Circuit breakers at the chart table.
- 220v electrical sockets to the interior.
- Amp & Volt meters.
- Victron Energy LiFePo Lithium Ion 24vDC 200Ah smart service batteries – 2019.
- 1x 12v 110Amp/h engine battery.
- Victron Energy battery monitoring system - 2019.
Charging & Inverter:
- Victron Energy 24/75 24vDC 75Amp automatic battery charger
- Victron Energy Phoenix 24/3000 3kw sine wave inverter
- Fischer Panda PMS8000 6.5Kw diesel generator – 2008.
- Generator hours: approximately 1,800 hours as of Autumn 2021
- Serviced annually as per the engine with oil and filter change and flushing of the cooling system with ‘Salt Away.’
- Water flow sensor installed which can shut down the engine if there is not sufficient water flow in the cooling system.
- 2x 120w mobile solar panels for use when moored – 2019.
- SolarEpic solar monitoring LCD – 2019.
- LVM Aqua-4 aerogen win generator on stainless steel pole at stern.
- 24v 135Amp Amptech alternator serving the service batteries.
- 12v 88Amp alternator serving the engine battery.
- 220vAC shore power with 220vAC sockets throughout interior.
- Victron Energie Isolation Transformer STI 30.
- 3x 24vDC-12vDC voltage droppers.
PLUMBING & GAS SYSTEMS
- Pressurised hot and cold water system with 230v AC Danfoss high pressure pump.
- Hot water generated by engine calorifier or via 220vAC immersion heater element in well insulated 50 litre hot water storage tank
- Tecnicomar 220VAC 70lph reverse osmosis watermaker located under the aft cabin double berth, fitted by Najad.
- Watermaker hours – approx. 1,825 as of Autumn 2021
- Filters are changed annually and when the watermaker is pickled for the winter.
- Both membranes and all pressure hoses were replaced – 2020.
- Saltwater pressurised pump feeding outlets to the fore and aft anchor lockers and the watermaker.
- 3 x Electric bilge pumps with switches for automatic and manual.
- 1 x Whale Gusher manual bilge pump operated from the cockpit.
- Gas locker with gas bottles connected to the gally stove and cooker.
- Remote gas shut off valve to the cooker and stove.
- All through-hull fittings and seacocks replaced with the holes correctly glassed towards the Divinicell core – 2009.
- 740 litres in 3x stainless steel tanks (200 litres more than standard)
- Fuel tank gauges at chart table.
- Biocide added when the diesel tanks are refilled.
- 730 litres in 2x stainless steel tanks
- water tank gauges at chart table.
- Inspection hatches.
- 2x Stainless steel holding tanks (100 litres for forward heads and 70 litres for aft heads)
- Connected to deck fitting for emptying ashore.
- All hoses connected to the tank are gas tight.
NAVIGATION & COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
- Furuno Navnet TZTouch 2 colour GPS chart plotter display at companionway with control panel at helm pedestal - 2019
- Furuno DRS6A NXT solid state open-array doppler radar with 110 target ARPA, doppler, rain and bird mode gimbal mounted to radar mast at the stern - 2019
- Echopilot forward looking sounder.
- Raymarine ST7002 autopilot control head connected to S3 course computer
- Additional wireless Smart controller for autopilot plus further ST600 wired remote
- B&G Triton2 display at companionway – 2019.
- 4x Raytheon ST60 displays – speed, depth, wind speed/direction and close-hauled wind.
- Suunto binnacle steering compass at helm pedestal.
At Chart Table:
- Furuno Navnet TZTouch 2 colour GPS chart plotter display - 2019
- Raymarine ST6000+ autopilot control head
- Raymarine ST70 multi display.
- Raymarine multi display in aft master cabin.
- Raymarine iTC-5 converter currently used to bring analog wind sensor to NMEA 2000.
- Actisense gateway to selectively bridge between old Raymarine and NMEA 2000
- Thrane LT-1000 Heading sensor and GPS – 2019.
- SOTMA AIS-Transponder – 2019.
- M-track 350 SOTIMA AIS transceiver on NMEA 2000 and USB.
- Fastnet FMD 55P receiver for Navtext, fax etc.
- Northstar Explorer T35 DSC VHF radio at chart table
- Northstar VHF handset at companionway
- Icom M710 SSB with remote head at Nav. Station including antenna tuner and Comrod whip antenna or alternatively isolated backstay.
- Pactor PTCII pro modem for winlink or sailmail.
- Stainless steel 2-burner gimballed gas stove and oven.
- Twin bowl sink with hot and cold mixer tap over.
- 2x top-opening refrigerators with 24vDC compressors.
- 40 litre compressor cooled freezer located under the Navigator’s seat.
- 220vAC Electrolux microwave.
- Kenny Duo 802 washer/dryer located under the sea berth close to the aft cabin.
- 2x Electric flush marine heads.
- Aft head shower with automatic temperature control.
- Wash basin inset to a Corian countertop with hot & cold mixer tap to the Owner’s En-Suite.
- Wash basin inset to a Corian countertop with hot & cold mixer tap and separate shower head and hot and cold mixer taps to guest fore cabins’ en-suite.
Heating & Ventilation:
- 1x Eberspacher D5L-C diesel-fired hot air cabin heating systems; with appropriate outlets to cabins.
- There is the installation for a 3DL-C additional heating system in place, which requires a new heater unit.
- Ventilation consisting of opening skylights, dorade ventilators, portlights in the cabin sides, 5x Skylights, 7x Dorade ventilators, 8x Opening and 4x fixed portlights.
- All interior ceiling lighting is LED – 2010.
- Ample overhead lights and reading lights at settees and berths.
- Under unit lighting to the Galley.
- Chart lamp in navigation area.
- 2x stereos with Bluetooth connection.
- Speakers in saloon and cockpit.
Summary of Accommodation:
- Up to 8 berths in mast double cabin aft, twin bunk cabins forward, passage-making berth in walkthrough to aft cabin plus occasional settee berth in saloon. Two heads.
- The first-class interior is handcrafted in selected and unstained African Mahogany, hand polished and varnished to a satin finish.
- Profile milled cupboards and doors.
- The isolated moulding above the berths is lined in mahogany.
- Flooring of varnished teak plywood with holly inlay.
- Corian countertops in galley and heads
- Headlining of white vinyl covered panels with mahogany strips.
- Washable carpet throughout.
- Upholstery - all cushions are covered with light-hardy and durable furniture fabrics.
- All berths have lee-cloths (the mattress to the aft cabin berth is divided to allow for a central lee-cloth).
Description of Accommodation from Forward:
- Bulkheads and lockers in white laminate.
- Corian grating.
- Wash basin and countertop in Corian.
- Hot & cold water supply with additional shower handset.
- Electric flush marine heads.
- Cupboards above and below the washbasin.
- Ventilation through opening deck hatch.
Twin Forward Cabins (being a mirror image of each other):
- Twin single berths to the hull side.
- Under berth draw space to the starboard cabin.
- Cupboard space including hanging space.
- Porthole to the cabin superstructure with a curtain.
- Down lighters.
- Reading lights.
- Door to En-suite.
- Large L-shaped settee to port.
- Lockers and shelf stowage outboard.
- Large fixed dining table with raised removable fiddles to all sides.
- Twin armchairs to starboard with drinks lockers in between.
- 2x additional foldable chairs.
- Stowage lockers outboard.
- Ample bookshelves and cupboards.
- Grab rail on both sides of the companionway stairs.
- Clock and barometer to the starboard side of the forward bulkhead.
- Reading lights.
- Recessed downlights.
- Ventilation hatch and windows to the cabin superstructure, all with blinds or curtains.
- Extended worktop created by Najad during the original build.
- The galley is located amidships starboard side.
- Large work areas in easily cleaned and durable Corian and raised timber fiddles.
- Stowage for groceries.
- Cupboards with fiddles for plates, cups and glasses.
- Cupboard under cooker for pans, etc.
- Various drawers.
- Under unit downlights.
- The navigation area is located amidships close to the companionway on the port side.
- Chart table with stowage for charts.
- Drawers and a separate chart stowage area under the deck.
- Ample space for individual instrumentation and modern navigation equipment.
- Navigator’s seat with a 40-litre compressor cooled freezer under.
- A passageway on the port side with a sea berth (berth approximately 2m x 0.7m) leads to the aft cabin.
- Sea berth has storage under for a; washer/dryer, CompTec electric dive compressor, draws for tools and the additional 200-litre diesel fuel tank.
- Amidships a large, wide double berth.
- Berth bottoms are unvarnished and ventilated with holes to avoid dampness.
- 4 x Portholes and a skylight than can also be used as an emergency exit.
- 2 x Fixed port lights in the transom.
- A settee and cupboards to port side.
- 2 x Large wardrobes to starboard side.
Aft Cabin En-suite Heads:
- The separate heads compartment contains an electric flush marine heads.
- Wash basin inset to a Corian countertop with a stainless steel fiddle rail.
- separate shower cubicle with a showerhead and hot & cold thermostat with a teak corner seat and Corian to the sole of the shower cubicle and remainder of the heads.
- Shower sump pump.
- Cupboards both above and below the wash basin area.
- Porthole with a curtain.
- Stainless grab rail.
- Selden anodised aluminium spars
- Keel-stepped masthead cutter-rigged inmast furling mast with 3-sets of spreaders and mast-steps
- Air draft approximately 21.30m (excluding the antennas).
- Stainless steel wire standing rigging – 200 with 14mm wires replaced 2003 under Selden recall
- Aluminium rigging-screw protectors
- Navtec hydraulics for backstay, vang and babystay
- Selden 400-series manual furling genoa furler
- Selden 300-series manual furling staysail furler
- Twin Selden anodised aluminium poles stowed to the front of the mast on individual tracks with Anderson line tenders.
- Fulltime cutter rig.
- Headsail sheet tracks with adjustable cars.
- 2x Andersen 68STE 2-speed electric self-tailing primary sheet winches.
- 1x Andersen 46STE 2-speed electric mainsheet winch (to port)
- 1x Andersoe 46ST 2-speed manual mainsheet winch (to starboard)
- 2x Anderson 52ST manual self-tailing secondary cockpit winches
- 1x Anderson 46ST self-tailing manual mast-mounted halyard winch.
- Elvstrom Hydranet triradial 60sqm inmast-furling mainsail with 5x vertical battens – 2019
- Elvstrom Hydranet triradial 75sqm furling genoa - 2019
- Pentex 35sqm radial cut furling staysail.
- 120 sqm gennaker with double-ply at the corners.
- Spare Dacron cross-cut inmast-furling mainsail.
- Stainless pulpit and pushpit and matching stanchions with double wire guard rails and midships boarding gates.
- Aluminium framed windscreen.
- Bathing ladder to stern.
- Hot & cold pressurised transom shower.
- Retractable davits.
- Aft radar mast with davit for outboard motor/MOB recovery.
- Separate stern mast for the wind generator.
Anchoring & Mooring:
- Anchor chain locker moved aft to take 100m of chain and a custom locker space for an extra FX-125 31kg Fortress anchor.
- Extra large stemhead fitting to take a 50Kg Bruce anchor.
- 1,500W 24vDC electric anchor windlass.
- 50kg Bruce anchor with 100m of anchor chain
- Lofrans capstan stern anchor windlass
- 45lbs CQR stern anchor with 60m chain stored in post side aft locker
- Fortress FX-37 kedge anchor with 10m chain and 100m of 22mm anchor rope.
- 55m belt type anchor rode is mounted to the pushpit for breaking out the kedge anchor via the dinghy.
Covers, Cushions & Canvas:
- Sprayhood with stainless steel frame
- Bimini with stainless steel frame
- Sunbrella full sun cover (20 sqm).
Tender & Outboard:
- Bombard Aerotec tender with a V-shaped pressurised floor – 2014.
- Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke outboard motor.
- Comptec electric diving compressor in walkthrough to aft cabin
- 1x 15 litre dive bottle with storage brackets for 2x bottles.
- All navigation lights including the anchor light and tri-colour light are Hella LED – 2010.
- 406Mhz EPIRB – 2019.
- Full size EPIRB.
- ACR PLB-350B personal locator beacon (406Mhz).
- 2x OceanSignal RescueMe MOB1 for attaching to lifejackets and which activate upon inflation (also trigger an alert on the VHF via DSC).
- Horseshoe life buoy.
- MOB recovery sling.
- Cannister 6-person liferaft on coachroof cradle – next service due September 2022.
- Blipper style radar reflector on mast
- Fire extinguishers throughout
Lying ashore in Madeira
Available to view strictly by appointment
Office Hours Mon- Fri 0900 – 17.00
Saturday by prior appointment
For more information or to arrange a viewing please contact us.
Please Note: Due to the varying locations of our yachts, your travel time and the distances that may be involved, we recommend that you only make arrangements to view if you are actively considering purchase.
Lead Broker: James McNeil – Grabau International (South Coast)
Tel: +44 7979907210 Email: email@example.com